Tuesday, February 28, 2012

A pilgrimage in Spain.


In just over three months I'll be setting off on a journey that is literally going to see me walking out of my forties. Yep, I said it. Or wrote it - either way I'm accepting and owning it!

I am fast approaching a new season of my life and I cannot for the life of me remember approaching a big ZERO birthday with a bigger spring in my step!

I will be walking 500 miles (yeah, I said walking..) to church - hopefully arriving there on the day of my big birthday!

I wish I could say that I coined that phrase, but many a pilgrim has used it before me! Feels good to write it down anyway and for some reason the thought doesn't scare me anymore!

From the minute I heard about the Camino de Santiago pilgrimage in Spain, I knew I had to do it. Spending more than a month on the road - just walking - with everything I need to survive on my back with the luxury of spending time with my Creator - how could I say no to such an opportunity!

500 miles to church. Hours to contemplate what my choice to follow the Lord with all my heart really means.

I still want to pinch myself at times when I think about what lies ahead and today I just feel like praising the Lord for:

Making this amazing journey possible.
Giving me a husband that supports this experience.
Good health - without which walking such a distance would not be possible.
For all the special people who have crossed my path since I started my planning.
The amazing people who are going to walk with me.

I have started walking in preparation and the beach above is where you'll find me most mornings. No morning is the same but slowly but surely I am getting to know a few of the regular faces. How nice to start greeting each other as old friends! Another Camino gift as far as I'm concerned!

Today I'd like to direct you to my other blog - the one dedicated to my Camino de Santiago pilgrimage. I hope that you will discover something that you were not familiar with before and who knows - we might meet on the road in Spain one day, for something tells me this won't be the last time I put on a pilgrim's hat!

15 comments:

  1. This. Sounds. Amazing. I look forward to seeing where the journey leads for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How many miles are you walking per day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen! About 15 miles per day... :)

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful way to celebrate 40. I celebrated mine by qualifying for the Boston marathon and felt stronger than ever. Sad to say, I turn 50 in less than a month. I will have to find a way to celebrate it but it won't be in such a strong way physically.
    I mentioned your blog in my post today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shanda! I'm going to pop over to your site right now! Thank you! I wish I was turning 40 - this is going to be the big five zero for me too... :) I'm ready for it though and I must say, I have only heard good things about being in one's fifties!

      Delete
  4. Wow! That is going to be so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie! Yep - I can't wait, I feel like a child waiting to open a special gift!!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Hi Denise! Thank you - I am So excited! Blessings to you too! :)

      Delete
  6. Nice to meet you Emilene. I found you through Tracy's blog. What an adventure you are going to be going on. I can't wait to read all about it. God bless you...Chelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chelle! 'Reformed rebel' - love it!! Lovely to meet you and yes, as you can see, I am SUPER excited! June can't come fast enough now!

      Delete
  7. Hi Emilene - I am looking forward to your resulting posts. I have no doubt in my mind that God will be giving you lots to say and you'll be seeing tons of great stuff.
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to chat - I appreciate your input!