Monday, February 13, 2012


One of the blessings in my life is the fact that every Thursday I can pack my bag and head out to the mountains. I started hiking at the beginning of 2010 in preparation for my big Kilimanjaro adventure in July of that year and it has since become a way of life for me.

I feel so incredibly close to the Lord when we are out there. Looking at the beauty and the LIFE that surrounds me on our walks just humbles me! At times I feel overwhelmed by the wonder of it all and today is one of those days that I wish I could take one or two people with me on a Thursday.

I just want them to experience creation the way I do. Because if  they can somehow manage to get to that place, I know they won't be able to question the fact that the Lord exists!

I guess the sad fact, and hence the tone of this post, is that I am realising that a number of the people that I know do not actually believe in the Lord Jesus Christ at all. In fact, a few actually feel so strongly about the issue that they sporadically post statements or quotes on their facebook profiles denouncing or making fun of the christian faith.

The latest quote on a friend's page has left me feeling so sad/offended/helpless that I have actually  blocked all her status updates. It just so sad to read it, I can't bear the words to even appear on my computer screen. This sounds so dramatic, but it really is how I feel. Just incredibly sad.

When I decided to live my life the way that I believe the Lord wants me to, I committed to having a teachable spirit. And I am fully committed to that. I asked the Lord to speak to me in ways that I can understand.

And he has not let me down. He speaks to me in a language that is clear and precise. I get confirmation after confirmation. I don't remember bible verses. I can't even always remember the sequence of events in the bible as I should. But time and time again, I have heard words come out of my mouth that I know did not come from me.

That is why I know the Lord speaks not only to me, but through me.

The discovery of all these people around me who deny the existence of God, frightened me at first. I really didn't understand it. In fact, I still don't. What I do know however, is that I have to trust that the Lord will guide me.

I pray that he will put the right words in my mouth when I interact with people who are far from him. Words that I know are not from me, but from the greatest teacher that exists. I also pray for teachable spirits.

Here are some of the verses that the Lord has already led me to. They were all new to me. How appropriate and how faithful. The Lord is never unclear.When he speaks it is precise - all we have to do is to ask, and to listen.

'Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls.'  1 Peter 1:8-9

'But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria,and to the ends of the earth.'  Acts 1:8

'One night the Lord spoke to Paul in a vision: "Do not be afraid; keep on speaking, do not be silent. For I am with you, and no one is going to attack and harm you, because I have many people in this city." Acts 18:9-10

Note the numbers of the chapters and the verses - coincidence? I don't think so. THIS is how the Lord speaks to me and I know that I can't shy away from the challenge of being confronted by non-believers.

I found the rock in the picture above on a path in the mountains one Thursday. A heart shaped rock. What a contradiction - but what a challenge! Can hearts of stone actually become soft?

Today I'd like to direct you to a site that is very special to me:

10 comments:

  1. Hi Emilene - I will be chatting to you about your hiking, how cool!! Looking forward to meeting you! I too love seeing God in nature and we are surrounded by such beautiful mountains here, one cannot but fail to see His beauty.
    Great post
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracy! I look forward to meeting you as well! How amazing that we have to meet via the States!! I love your blog and am really happy to have found a fellow blogger close to home!

      Delete
  2. Emilene, I also know that sinking, helpless feeling when someone blasts Christians and our faith. It used to even rattle me... how do I know they're wrong? But after years of walking in God's light, years of seeing Him transform me more into His likeness, there can be no more doubt.
    Love that passage, 1 Peter 1:8-9. It has been a rock. Thank you for continuing to speak. In my own way, that is the whole point of my writing -- to enhance His reputation!
    (Visiting from SDG)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janice! Thanks for this - nice to know that I'm not the only one who has ever felt like this and even greater to receive words of encouragement from someone who understands!

      Delete
  3. love that you find God in nature, I find him there as well. And for those that don't believe, I feel we can learn a lot to listening to their heart behind their words, which in FB land is not always possible. A downside to this growing sound byte world. Behind the status is a person though, who all you can do, is love. I pray for your journey as well as theirs through this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tara! Very true, '...listening to their heart behind the words',I suspect THAT really is what one should focus on!

      Delete
  4. You have a lovely blog and I certainly like Jen's too. The rock you found reminded me of Rick Ruggles photos. He looks for and photographs hearts: here is his web site: http://www.foundhearts.com/ Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jean! Thanks for this - Iam going to have a look at his site right now!

      Delete
  5. Praying with you that the hearts of stone would be come soft and pliable in the hands of God. Praying that you have opportunities to take these people that doubt Him into your special places where you hike. May His glory be revealed and His word spoken through you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to chat - I appreciate your input!